1. Rinse and drain the corn kernels.
2. Heat the canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the rice to the oil, and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, until the rice turns pale white, then add the corn.
3. Pour in the boiling water and salt to taste and stir to combine.
4. Cover the pan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until there are air holes visible in the cooked rice.
5. Fluff the rice up with a fork and serve.
Excerpted from Lima The Cookbook by Virgilio Martinez, Mitchell Beazley 2015.
"Vegetables are perishable, so we don't have any indication of what they looked like 500 years ago," says James Nienhuis, a professor in the Department of Horticulture at the University of Wisconsin.